• New Listings
  • Contact Now


Recent Blog Posts

  • A design ahead of its time. The Schindler house, also known as the Kings Road House or Schindler Chase house, is located at 835 N Kings Road in West Hollywood. It was built by famous modern architect Rudolf Schindler in 1922 for his primary residence. Schindler house was one of the first modern houses ever […]

  • Roscomare Elementary Address: 2425 Roscomare Rd Los Angeles CA 90077 Grades: K-5 Enrollment: 478 API: 967 (2013) Student Teacher Ratio: 23:1 School Demographics  Roscomare Elementary has a strong sense of community and caring Teachers The curriculum at Roscomare is set to meet the California Common Core standards, however the method of instruction is a little […]

  •           John Thomas Dye  Address: 11414 Chalon Rd Los Angeles, CA 90049 Grades: K-6 Enrollment: 335 Student Teacher Ratio: 14 to 1 (one lead teacher and one teacher’s associate in each class so its really like 7 to 1) Demographics John Thomas Dye is not just Elementary school – it’s a Second […]

  •   Quick Facts Warner Avenue Elementary Address: 615 Holmby Ave Los Angeles CA 90024 Grades: K-5 Enrollment: 647 Students API: 960 (2013) Student teacher ratio 20:1 School Demographics Public School that feels Like a Private school! Warner is a traditional school that focuses on academics. Parent’s who favor progressive education usually don’t like it. The academics […]

  • West Knoll Condominiums Address: 8535 West Knoll Drive West Hollywood CA 90069 Summary 8535 West Knoll is a 66 unit West Hollywood mid rise condo  built in 1974 in the Norma Triangle Neighborhood of West Hollywood. West Knoll has recently undergone some renovations in the hallways and lobby so it has a very up to date […]

Blog >> 8535 West Knoll

Capital Gains Exemption

Capital Gaines Exemption

The Capital Gains Exemption, also commonly known as the home owner’s exemption, was created by Congress passing the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. The Bill added Internal Revenue Code 121 Principal Residence Sale Tax Exemption. IRS publication 523 is a great reference if you need more information on Homeowners Capital Gains Exemption.

To Qualify for a Homeowners Capital Gains Exemption:

1. Home must be your primary residence

2. You must have occupied the home as your primary residence for at least two years within the past five years. The two years need not be continuous.

For a single person the Capital Gains Exemption is up to $250,000. For a married couple, only one spouse need hold title, but to qualify for the $500,000 exemption both spouses must meet the two-year occupancy test and file a joint tax return.


Capital gains tax is 20%, if you held your investment for less than a year the Capital Gain is taxed at your income tax rate because investments held less than one year are considered short term investments.


If you owned and occupied your primary residence immediately for two years you qualify for the exemption. In theory, you could rent your home to tenants for up to three years afterwards before losing your principal residence sale exemption eligibility. When you sell, you can do whatever you want with the proceeds.


Many home owners think they have to own their homes at least five years before qualifying for this great tax break- that’s incorrect. You can qualify for the exemption in just two years if you move into your home immediately. You can utilize the capital gains exemption once every two years and there is no limit for how many times it can be used in ones lifetime, but keep in mind, that it only works for your primary residence, and does not work for investment Property. A 1031 Exchange is probably your best option to avoid capital gains tax for your investment property.


Q: I own two homes, one in New York and one in Los Angeles. From 2009 to present I have been living 7 months a year in Los Angeles, and the rest of the year in New York. I am leaving the US and want to sell both homes. Can I use the capital gains exemption on both homes? Does the capital gains exemption apply for second homes or vacation property?

A: No, the capital gains exemption only applies to your primary residence. The IRS considers whichever property you spend more time at as your primary residence, however you can declare either property your primary residence for tax purposes- so long as you don’t claim them both. One idea, would be to sell your primary residence with the capital gains exemption, wait two years and then sell the other as your new primary residence.

Q:  Emily bought her house three years ago. Emily marries James in June 2012. She then sells her home in June 2013 for a gain of $300,000. Does Emily and James qualify for $500,000 capital gains exemption?

A: No, Emily and James are married, however only one of the couple has lived in the property for 2 years, James has only lived there one year. Emily can exclude up to $250,000 of gain and James can exclude nothing. It might be best for them to wait 1 year and then sell depending on the size of their gain.

Q: Are they any exceptions to meeting the 2 year requirement?

A: Yes, if you were sent overseas to serve the military or work for the government, disabled, or meet certain requirments. Take a look at IRS publication 523

Q: I own a home as a Tenant in Common with a friend. Do we each get to claim a homeowners capital gains tax exemption of $250,000 if we meet all the requirements?


Q: Amy bought her house five years ago. She moved in for a year, then rented it for 3 years, and moved back in last year. While she was renting the house she deducted $10,000 a year in depreciation. Now she is selling the house and has a gain of $200,000. Does Depreciation recapture affect her capital gains exemption?

A: Yes. Since Amy rented her house and took depreciation this is going to change the total amount that she can exempt from her capital gains exemption. You take the total number of years the property was rented (3 years) and divide it by the total number of years the property was owned (5 years) to get a ratio of how long the home was owned versus rented (60%). You subtract from the capital gain the deductions for depreciation ($200,000-$30,000= $170,000) and multiply that by the ratio ($170,000 *0.6= 102,000). Finally you subtract from $170,000 the $102,000 to get your total capital gain exemption which in this example would be $68,000.