When G. Allan Hancock developed Hancock Park in 1920, he allowed two outstanding private sports clubs to be established; The Wilshire Country Club and the Los Angeles Tennis Club (LATC).
Located at 5851 Clinton Street, the tennis club has 16 lighted tennis courts, making it one of the largest private tennis clubs in Los Angeles. Members rarely have to wait to play a match, and often arrive without booking a reservation ahead of time.
The club has played an important role in establishing the sport of tennis. It hosted the inaugural Pacific Southwest Open tournament in 1927, the world’s first hard court major tennis championships. The Spanish Colonial Revival style clubhouse was built that year also.
Bill Tilden won singles in the first tournament. Many of the top players in the world during the 20th century have competed on these courts.
A great amenity for members is the 25-yard-long pool and spa that is great for swimming laps or water aerobics classes. There is also a fitness center equipped with state-of-the-art weight training and cardio equipment with personal trainers available by appointment.
The club has over 400 members. New membership to the club is invitation only and new applicants must go through a month long registration and orientation process.